There’s nothing like the power of photography to capture a person’s affinity with a place. A great image not only brings a place’s most captivating features to the fore, it shapes and even transforms our perceptions of it.
Whether you’re an amateur, semi-professional or professional photographer, a sense of place is probably important to you. You’re bound to feel emotionally connected to somewhere, whether it’s the heart of a big city or a tiny village in the countryside. Wherever you are in the UK, we want to see your work and feel your passion.
That’s why we’ve launched a new competition, Place of Pride.
What is Place of Pride?
This competition is open to photographers of all abilities and backgrounds and you can enter exclusively on our Instagram page.
£550 worth of cash prizes are up for grabs. The lucky winner of this competition will receive £350 cash, while the runner-up will receive £150 and third place £50.
Choosing the winner will be Ronya Galka, who was recently voted one of Britain’s top 10 street photographers by the Interactive Design Institute and has also previously been nominated for Best Photographer at the Sony World Photography Awards.
Why should you enter Place of Pride?
This competition is not only a chance to get your hands on some extra cash, it also represents an opportunity to gain widespread exposure of your work.
We will be sharing entries on our Instagram page and tagging the entrants. We will also be promoting Place of Pride through the photography and regional press, as well as through our email database and other social media platforms.
In short, there’s the potential for thousands of people to see your photograph.
What kind of image are we looking for?
This is almost entirely up to you. The photograph you submit could be of anything from the magnificent details of a town or city to the minutiae of everyday life.
All we ask is that your image includes an identifying feature of the place you’re capturing. This might be a noteworthy building, a street sign, or any other distinguishable points of interest.
This is not a condition for entry but the less generic the photograph, the better.
How do you enter and what are the conditions?
To enter Place of Pride:
• Submit a photograph of your chosen place as an Instagram post
• Tag our Instagram page
• Include the hashtag #placeofpride
• Explain why you have chosen your place in the caption of your post
Please note, we will only accept submissions of places in the United Kingdom.
Place of Pride will close for entries on May 31st 2020. If your entry comes first, second or third, we will send you a direct message on Instagram within 2-4 working weeks of the competition closing.
Best of luck!
Terms and conditions:
1. The promoter of this competition is Ripe Photography, The Royals, Altrincham Road, Manchester M22 4BJ.
2. This competition is open to residents of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man except employees (and their families) of Ripe Photography and its commercial partners, and the entrant(s) must be aged 18 or over.
3. This competition commences on Monday 9th March 2020 at 12:01am and entries close and must be received by 11.59pm on Sunday 31st May 2020 – the “Competition Period”.
4. Ripe Photography reserves the right to extend the Competition Period at its discretion.
5. To enter, eligible entrants must, during the Competition Period, upload a photo on Instagram and undertake the following mandatory steps:
- Tap Add Location and enter the location.
- Tag @ripe_photography_ in the image and caption
- Enter the hashtag #placeofpride in the caption
- The caption should provide a description of the place and why the entrant has chosen it.
6. Failing to include these details will render the corresponding entry invalid.
7. The photograph should contain an identifying feature/identifying features of the entrant’s chosen place, i.e. a noteworthy building, street sign, or any other distinguishable point(s) of interest.
8. Eligible entrants can only submit one photo to the competition.
9. All images submitted must be the original work of the entrant which does not infringe any rights of any third party.
10. Photographs can be taken by any device of the entrant’s choosing.
11. Please do not submit any images with watermarks.
12. Not all submissions will be shared on the Ripe Photography Instagram account, however they will still be considered as entries, subject to the conditions above.
13. By submitting their photograph, entrants grant permission for Ripe Photography to share their photographs for promotional purposes.
14. Copyright on all shared photographs remains with the original creator.
15. Ripe Photography will select a shortlist of entries and the winners will be chosen by Ronya Galka.
16. The decision of Ronya is final and no correspondence will be entered into over this decision.
17. The prize is £350 for the winner, is £150 for second place and £50 for third place.
18. The prize is non-negotiable, non-transferable and non-refundable.
19. The winners will be officially announced on Ripe Photography’s website and associated channels the week within 2-4 weeks of the closing date.
20. Ripe Photography will send a direct message to the winners on Instagram announcing that they are one of the winners of the Place of Pride competition.
21. The cash will be paid via bank transfer. The winners should share their bank details in order for this transfer to be made.
23. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram or any other social network.