Amateur photographers insurance

Digital camera

Quick and easy photography insurance. Just a click away.

If you’re an amateur photographer or videographer, you’ll enjoy taking photographs and filming for fun, not for a career. Although it's a hobby, we know that your camera and video equipment is probably in use quite often and is therefore at risk from theft or damage. We also appreciate that your equipment is likely to be expensive and might be difficult to replace. That’s why we have developed a way of insuring your camera gear which gives you maximum cover and peace of mind. Our quick quote lets you choose only the cover you need, so you can get instant protection, at a great price, with no fuss.

What does our amateur photography insurance insurance cover?

How do you classify an amateur photographer/videographer?

We classify amateurs as photographers or videographers who only shoot photos or videos for fun, and don’t earn any money from it. If you do earn money from your images, our semi-professional options will be a better match for you.

What insurance do amateur photographers and videographers need?

For photographers and videographers who don’t get paid for their work, the biggest risk is likely to be the theft, or damage to equipment. If you transport your equipment, you’ll probably want to make sure that your cover extends to covering it whilst unattended in the vehicle, as some insurers exclude this. As well as equipment, you may also want to consider adding extra cover for mobile phones and tablets or additional cover for when you are outside of the UK. 

Do amateur photographers need insurance?

There’s certainly no law to say you have to have insurance if you are an amateur photographer or videographer, so it is entirely optional. That said, most photographers will have some kind of camera insurance to protect their equipment. You'll know better than anyone that cameras, and all of the equipment that goes with them, are expensive to replace and are at risk from theft and accidental damage.

What cover options are available?

We offer cover for damage to your equipment up to the value of £60,000 in total (the maximum amount of portable equipment is £30,000), theft from an unattended vehicle up to £20,000, and mobile phones and tablets up to £1,000.

How much does camera and photography insurance cost?

As with all insurance, the cost of your individual policy will vary depending on where you live, the cover you choose and the amount of equipment you wish to insure. At Ripe, we are committed to giving our customers the best prices we can. We offer discounts for members of Photography Associations and have a Lowest Price Guarantee, so we won’t be beaten on price. Our ‘build your own’ quote also means you don’t pay for any cover you don’t need. Start your quote now.

Does home insurance cover amateur photographers?

It really depends on who provides your home insurance and the cover you have taken out with them. Most home insurance policies will place a limit on expensive items (such as cameras and videomaking equipment), and you might find that there’s very limited cover outside of the home. Specialist photography insurance is likely to give you better cover and might also be cheaper than upgrading your home insurance policy.

Any questions?

Not sure what you need? See our full list of cover options or check the FAQs.

Please enter a valid email address.

Please Please tick one of the boxes below.

Let's stay in touch. Sign up to receive special offers and exclusive discounts.

Your data is safe with us and you can unsubscribe at any time. For more information, please see our Privacy policy.

Thank you for subscribing, you’ll be hearing from us soon!